We’ve often preached the beauty of the Kure Beach/Ft Fisher area as a ‘must visit’ area for visitors, vacationers, and locals alike. Going over from the Brunswick County area makes it all the better with the best $5 cruise on the planet that takes you from Southport, across the Cape Fear, to Kure Beach. Once on the other side, here are your choices:
- One of the best aquariums around
- Ft Fisher; home of some of the bloodiest and most critical battles of the Civil War
- Relax on the beach across from Ft Fisher; an east facing beach with some powerful surf.
- Discover the remote beach via 4WD access adjacent to the aquarium.
- Drop a line off of one of the largest piers, Kure Beach Pier or swim in the clear, aquamarine surf
If you just want to go for a boat ride and relax by the shore, simply take a right off of the ferry access road and head down 1/4 mile to Buchanan Battery at Federal Point & The Rocks at Fort Fisher. One of the former outposts of Ft Fisher, the Battery is a quiet, serene spot to throw out a line, launch a kayak or just park a chair, relax and watch the rest of the world go by.
This gallery of photos will give you a brief view of some of the sights around the beach at Ft Fisher and Buchanan Battery.